The New Creation Young Adult Ministry is a growing ministry in 2017 focused on supporting post-high school-aged individuals to age 26, whether they choose to attend a college or university or postpone their education to enter the workplace.
Being away from home and out on your own can be one of the hardest things to do once you reach adulthood. We want to show our college students our love and support while they are away at school and when they return home. Each month, we “crash the campus” of a college or university in Virginia to show our students who attend that school some love and make their weekend extra special. When school is on-break, we host short-term and flexible Bible studies and “welcome home” dinner gatherings. During the school year, many of our ministries maintain contact with students, exchanging letters and sending care packages.
Help us keep in contact with you or your college student by signing up with our Young Adult Registry.
Youth Ministry Internship for Young Adults
Each summer, the Youth Ministry offers a paid summer internship for young adults currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program to help with preparing for Youth Week. This internship will help develop valuable professional skills while helping our youth build their relationship with Christ. Check out the job description and application below to apply. Applications are due to the church office by Friday, April 28, 2017!
The application deadlines for scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year has passed.
J. William Etheridge Memorial Scholarship
The family of J. William Etheridge, along with the New Horizons Adult Sunday School class, is offering a $500 scholarship in his memory. Bill was a member and the teacher of the New Horizons Adult Sunday School class at the Aldersgate Campus for many years. He was an educator for 40 years and served as the principal for the former Newport News High School. Interested applicants must be high school graduating seniors or currently attending a college or university with a 2.5 GPA. This scholarship is available to all undergraduate students regardless of major. The completed scholarship package can be returned to the Aldersgate church office and placed in the New Horizons Sunday School mailbox.
Pastor Larry and Karen Adams Scholarship
The Pastor Larry and Karen Adams Scholarship honors Pastor Larry Adams for a life of purpose and example. It is our hope that when a young person is honored with this award that he or she will attempt to follow the wonderful template for a life of service and sacrifice that pastor Larry Adams has provided. The candidate chosen for the scholarship will receive a $500 one-time award. This amount is subject to change depending on the funds available. he scholarship will be awarded to a worthy student who best exhibits the ideals that Pastor Larry Adams espoused. He or she must fulfill all the requirements listed and complete the application process. In addition, the applicant must:
- Be accepted in a full time degree program at an accredited educational institution.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. An official transcript must accompany your application.
- Be an active full member of The United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to applying. The church must be located in the Elizabeth River District with special consideration given to New Creation UMC members.
- Demonstrate participation in The United Methodist Church (i.e. UMYF, annual conference, jurisdictional conference, church sponsored mission projects, local church committees, etc.)
- Show how his or her education will provide leadership for the church and society and improve the quality of life of others.
- Submit an approximately 300 word essay describing yourleadership responsibilities and activities during the past 3 years. The essay may include references to participation and leadership responsibilities at your church, the district and other endeavors. Activities and/or responsibilities at your high school and/or community should also be included. Also explain your educational goals and how they will help fulfill the mission of The United Methodist Church to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. The essay should be submitted to the church office at email@example.com.
The scholarship committee reserves the right to fully assess all applicants for requirements and in the event that applicant(s) do not meet all criteria, committee may make exceptions.
Young Adult Ministry Volunteers
The transition from teenager to a young adult is deceptively difficult. Adults are encouraged to become mentors to college students to encourage them through this transition and to serve as "accountability partner" in faith and in life. Mentors are also encouraged to "crash the campus" with us to spend time in fellowship with our college students. If you are interested in serving as a mentor to one of our young adults, complete a volunteer interest form on our Serve page.